Blog #5

Community communications go beyond blogs and social media shares; how does a PLN help and hinder the development of thoughts and ideas in education discourse?

Community communication is sometimes more effective than blogs and social media, but it doesn’t spread as fast as social media. PLN helps us build our ideas in the network, customize variety and choose appropriate learning tools. The benefit of PLN for educators is that they can control the part of the discourse they like to engage in, and it’s up to us to get the message to the right community. Each community has its theme, and the professional level has become a considerable resource in the continuous updating of uploaded materials. Compared to social media, for example, if a post about celebrity gossip is posted in the education community, the message will travel slowly because people in the community will not be interested in celebrity gossip. Again, if the right message is delivered to an active community, it will spread quickly.

How do educators create discourse?

As an educator, I believe in creating a free, equal, open space for every learner. All communication needs to take place in a specific area. Everyone can express his opinion and be respected by others.

What is the role of social media in education?

Social media has been great for education, as it has always been the most immediate way to disseminate information compared to blogs and community communication. On social media, students can communicate with each other in time, and this kind of timely communication is essential in the learning process. In group tasks, everyone’s work can get timely feedback, and the communication between students can effectively improve the student’s communication ability and leadership abilities. At the same time, it is also essential to communicate with teachers through social media so that students can ask questions in time and get answers. I hope to get your reply very much. Over time, my thirst for knowledge may decrease because I have five courses in a semester, and I can’t devote all my energy to one study. Many teaching resources can be retrieved on social media, and these teaching resources can timely answer our questions. Therefore, I think social media plays an essential role in education.

What are some problems with social media communications in education settings?

While there are many good aspects to social media communication in an educational setting, there are also many risks. First of all, in terms of security, our personal information will be made public to others, which causes our privacy security problems. Secondly, we may have different opinions with others on the Internet, which may cause quarrels. There are always people on the Internet who will stop at nothing to generate traffic and make our social media experience worse.

1. MsHiscox

Hi,

I agree that social media has been great for education in terms of engagement and communication. Our ability to receive immediate responses and feedback via social media increases our self-efficacy as students and digital citizens. I also appreciate that social media in education creates opportunities for active and passive learning – sometimes we are watching live lectures and other times we are engaging in discussions and debates. Utilizing the combination of the two allows us as students to absorb information and then engage with what we have learned – providing further opportunities for us to increase our critical thinking skills and community building. Due to these benefits alone, I agree with you that social media has become essential in education. Thanks!